Friday 17 May 2013

Reaching for a Turtle

Stupid post titles are back!
A trip to Wicken Fen in Cambridgeshire. Flying solo today, I arrived at Wicken Fen and made my way to the "new bridge". I met another birder who told me the Black-winged Stilt had flown off about an hour before my arrival. I scanned the flooded area near the bridge but nothing doing. I decided to have a walk in the direction the bird had flown. After about a half a mile I joined two birders who were viewing the Black-winged Stilt. It was fairly distant and asleep. After a few minutes it woke up and started to feed. Also here was an even more distant Hobby.
From Wicken Fen I decided to head over to Lakenheath. On route I noticed two Turtle Dove's feeding on the ground outside some farm outbuildings near the village of Reach. I stopped the car and viewed the birds also taking a couple of pics. A car drove by and flushed them so I continued my journey to Lakenheath.
At Lakenheath the first thing I noticed was hundreds and hundreds of Swifts also lots of Cuckoo's calling and a couple of Bitterns booming. I made my way to the first viewing point and almost straight away the Red-footed Falcon showed really well. The only drawback being the poor light. From here I had a stroll around the reserve where I saw several Marsh Harrier and a few more Hobby. Also on the reserve; Cetti's Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin. On the walk back to the car a Cuckoo was being mobbed by a Chaffinch.
Black-winged Stilt-Wicken Fen

Black-winged Stilt-Wicken Fen

Turtle Dove-Reach

Red-footed Falcon-Lakenheath

Red-footed Falcon-Lakenheath

Red-footed Falcon-Lakenheath

Hobby-Lakenheath

No comments:

Post a Comment