Saturday 29 December 2012

Soggy Otmoor

A belated Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year to one and all.
A long overdue update. I've not been out much since my last post due to a combination of virus, Christmas and can't be arsedness because of the rubbish weather.
This morning Paul and myself paid a visit to Otmoor. The weather was gloomy and overcast with periods of fine rain.
Soon after we arrived we connected with a Ringtail Hen Harrier. So not a bad start. Other birds of note here were; Golden Plover, Lapwing, Teal. Wigeon, Green Woodpecker, Water Rail, Nuthatch, Stonechat, Little Egret.
On our way back to car park I slipped over. This was my fourth fall of the year so not a bad total. I wonder if I can sneak in one more before the New Year?
From Otmoor we headed off to Spade Oak Gravel Pits near Little Marlow. We had the deluded idea that we might connect with a Caspian Gull. By now the weather had worsened with pouring rain. The footpaths around the lake were almost impassable. Very few gulls around and all the spits had disappeared due to the high water levels. We did note the following before the heavens really opened; Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Shoveler, Snipe, Kingfisher, Red Kite, Goldcrest.
Paul's pics below. Stonechat and Golden Plover at Otmoor and Goldcrest at Little Marlow.




No comments:

Post a Comment