Friday 13 March 2015

Woodoaks and Stockers

Thurs 12th March 2015
An afternoon visit to Woodoaks Farm near Maple Cross. A Mistle Thrush in the goat field and a handful of Yellowhammer were seen as I made my way towards the dung heap. Distantly scanning the dung heap I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice male Wheatear. I walked a bit closer and had some nice views. I sent out a few tweets and texts and quite soon after Paul Lewis arrived. He was on his way to Stockers Lake to look for the recently reported Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. We had a chat and headed off to Stockers. Parking at the pumping station we made our way to the causeway, pausing briefly to view 3 Snipe on the flooded field. We encountered a couple of birders on route one of whom had seen the Lesser Pecker about an hour ago. We found a decent spot to view the oak on the island. I set up my scope to view what I believed to be the birds favoured drumming post. After about an hour and a quarter some sewing machine type drumming started, a quick view in the scope and there it was. Paul thoughtfully ran off to alert two other birders and they were both able to view the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker through my scope.



No comments:

Post a Comment