Saturday 23 May 2015

18th May Uist's Trip

A poor start to the day but things did pick up later. I spent the first couple of hours in the pouring rain at a reliable Golden Eagle site. Not sure where to go as it raining heavily but decided to give the Red-necked Phalaropes another try. Almost immediately the rain stopped and a couple of Short-eared Owl on the drive down to Benbecula. On arrival a birder had just had good views of 2 Red-necked Phalarope and showed me some photos. They had flown off and he was leaving. A scan of the pools and I picked up the Phalarope's distantly but decent views through my scope. They then flew even further away. Back to North Uist and a visit to Grenitote. Only reason for my visit was to reminisce about last years Snowy Owl. Parking at the picnic area I noticed a tractor ploughing a field. Lots of Gulls following the tractor so I decided to take a closer look. Viewing from a distance I could see an interesting Gull, a "White Winger"?  I managed to get quite close and my bird was a juvenile Iceland Gull. While watching the Gull a Little Tern also put in an appearance. Last birding of the day was at Locheynort North. Distant views of Golden and White-tailed Eagle and a pair of Red-throated Diver on the Loch. On the drive back to the b & b 2 Short-eared Owl flew alongside the car.












No comments:

Post a Comment